For many health reasons, it is important to maintain a proper humidity level in your house with a dehumidifier. Although some homes may have moisture problems only at a certain time of the year, other people need help to control moisture levels year-round.
Here are 5 reasons why you should have a dehumidifier:
- Window and glass door condensation – a build-up of moisture on a window sill can eventually make wooden casings rot, and that wetness will allow mold to grow.
- Mold spots on ceiling or in corners of walls – because steam rises, bathroom and basement moisture problems are often observed on ceilings and up the corners of the walls. Note, though, that a dehumidifier will lessen the amount of moisture damage, but the case cannot be left with just that.
- Musty smell – anytime there is a musty smell, there’s mold somewhere and that’s not healthy for anyone. A dehumidifier can help with immediate moisture removal but you’ll have to investigate further.
- Recurring spring water dampness – if spring ground water has become a recurring problem, basement waterproofing is recommended while a dehumidifier helps in lessening the dampness.
- Water stain marks – waterproofing plays a big part in keeping the state of your house in pristine condition and preventing growth of mold. Having a dehumidifier in the basement prevent steam from rising up to walls and ceilings.
If you encounter early signs of these problems, call the basement waterproofing experts at American Basement Solutions.