Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Inspecting wet crawlspace during spring rains



















Here in the Midwest, we are finally starting get some decent spring rains in the past couple of weeks. I and many of our inspectors have experienced this in our crawlspace inspections. All through the winter, we are able to wear regular coveralls and knee pads to crawl around most people’s crawlspaces. The change from winter rains to spring rains usually occurs sometime around when the coveralls come off and the waders come on. The crawlspaces become wet and muddy.

It takes quite a bit of maneuvering to inspect a 24” crawlspace with 6 or more inches of water in it. Homeowners are always telling me I should put on a snorkel or scuba mask to get down there. Trying to squeeze under pipes and beams and keep the water from getting in your waders at your chest is always a delight. I will still take my digital camera down there even though most of the time if I open the door and show the homeowner, a flooded crawlspace access always says it all.

I always ask for any history on what has been done to the crawlspace or if the homeowner knows of any potential problems in the crawl space. Its always interesting to hear people tell you their crawlspace NEVER gets wet or puddles, but only a little dampness now and then. I usually will ask them how often they inspect their crawl. Most of the time they inspect their crawlspace 2x a year or less. I would love to be able to tell you that I take no joy in watching their faces when I open the door to the crawlspace and it’s full of water, but I do. It’s probably because I know now that they are fully aware of the problem and half the battle of convincing them of the problem is won.

If you have a wet crawlspace in the spring and can’t inspect it, give us a call @ 1-877-409-2837 or visit our website @ www.americanbasementsolutions.com/crawlspace-repair.html.

Thanks for reading the thoughts of a crawlspace inspector,

Larry Ralph Jr.

Share/Save/Bookmark
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post your website as a link if you are not going to link back to ours from your website.